The Burns Bog Conservation Foundation was set up in 2002 by the Burns Bog Conservation Society. The purpose of the Foundation is to conduct a capital campaign and to create an endowment fund for the Burns Bog Conservation Society.
Staff and volunteers conduct the day-to-day work of the Foundation and the Society. The Foundation and the Society are each governed by volunteer boards of directors.
To provide funding for education programs and facilities that will enable the Burns Bog Conservation Society to continue and extend its work in conserving and protecting Burns Bog.
To build a Nature Centre that will:
- Educate the public on the importance of Burns Bog and the world’s peatlands.
- Provide facilities to assist with scientific research.
- Provide opportunities for the public to interact with and experience the Burns Bog environment through ecotourism.
- Champion sustainability, ecologically sound management and governance of Burns Bog and other peatlands.
- Liaise and work with other groups on broad issues that affect the sustainability of Burns Bog and other peatlands.
- Support the Burns Bog Conservation Society, the organization responsible for day-to-day affairs.