The Burns Bog Conservation Society aims to educate and engage the public on the importance of protecting Burns Bog & the world’s peatlands. We achieve our goals through education programs. These programs allow people of all ages to learn about Burns Bog, the largest undeveloped urban landmass in North America.
What We Do:
- Conduct educational programs (in English & French) including guided nature walks, fieldtrips, summer day camps, an annual Nature Festival, & in-class workshops
- Build, fund, and maintain the boardwalk system in the Delta Nature Reserve, the only accessible part of Burns Bog. You can enjoy this ecological gem without damaging the sensitive vegetation. The boardwalks are stroller, wheelchair, and bike accessible
- Research Burns Bog, peatlands, and wetlands & raise their profile over social and printed media
- Publish education material about peatlands, wildlife, & Burns Bog for all ages
- Create public campaigns against development projects that threaten the ecological integrity of Burns Bog
- Partner with environmental organizations, academic institutions, & international agencies to promote environmental stewardship, volunteer opportunities, & work experience for international and local youth
- Host awareness events such as Jog for the Bog, Art Contest, Bog Escape, and the Pilgrimage to Burns Bog
. Our vision is a world filled with environmentally-connected and conscious citizens. This can only be achieved if youth are informed and inspired. We need your help to fulfill our vision. Your help shapes Bog Defenders for your future.